My Training & Certification as a GSC – GSC Program Summary Including 4-5 Month Old Certification
The Gentle Sleep Coach Program is the first and most extensive professional sleep coaching certification program available. The program involves over 80 hours of training, an exam and participation in case supervision with Kim West, LCSW-C (a.k.a. “the Sleep Lady”). Clinical supervision and ongoing advanced training are required to maintain certification as a Gentle Sleep Coach.
Some of my training topics included:
- Basic counselling and child development
- Sleep science and behavioral modification techniques
- Secure attachment theory
- Support for the breastfeeding mother
The training also consisted of lectures from top specialists, including:
- Postpartum Depression from Dr. Shoshana Bennett, author and leading specialist on Postpartum Depression
- Medical Conditions and Sleep Apnea in Children led by Dr. Lewis Kass, Director of Children’s Sleep Center
- Sensory Processing Disorders and Sleep by Jodi Jennings, OTLR
The GSC Program also includes an exclusive advanced training series directly centered around how to gently work with babies four and five months of age. This program, which I have also completed consists of over 40 hours of instruction and mentorship.
Some of the curriculum training topics include:
- In-depth knowledge of the delicate nature of infants under six months of age and how to consider all elements of their wellbeing.
- Current evidence-based guidelines and instruction on how to evaluate the four to six-month-old child and family and determine if the child is ready for sleep coaching.
- Gentle sleep solutions and strategies that are effective and developmentally appropriate for the younger baby.
This specialty training is designed to give coaches the knowledge, education and all the tools and resources they need to successfully work with families of babies four to six months of age in a safe, healthy and developmentally appropriate manner.